Due to the changes in the body as we age, seniors have a slower metabolism and have a difficulty in absorbing nutrients in food. This makes it even more important for them to have healthy and balanced meals as they are now more prone to nutrient deficiencies. As a provider of in-home non-medical care services we always consider the diets of our senior patients.
Here are some tips we practice as we provide personal care in Pennsylvania:
- Adding fruits and vegetables to their diet. These can either be fresh, frozen, or canned. We recommend dark green vegetables such as broccoli and kale. You can also add orange vegetables such as carrots and sweet potatoes.
- Vary their protein sources by adding fish, beans, and peas.
- Have whole grains from cereals, bread, crackers, rice, or pasta.
- Ensure their bone health by adding low-fat dairy from milk, yogurt, or cheese. Some of these are fortified with vitamin D.
- Go for polyunsaturated and monosaturated fats instead of solid fats.
Are you in need of in-home care in Elkins Park, Pennsylvania to help care for your senior loved ones at home? We at Silverbird Homecare Services LLC can help make their stay at home more comfortable as they receive the health care they need.